As Hurricane Florence Makes Her Way to the East Coast, Farmers Insurance® Prepares to Help
WOODLAND HILLS, Calif., Sept. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- With Florence expected to make landfall along the Eastern Seaboard later this week, Farmers Insurance® urges those in or around the path of the storm to listen closely to the National Weather Service as well as local authorities in their area. Farmers® also offers the following tips to help residents prepare for the next few days, with more information available at Farmers.com/Prepare:
- Don't wait – evacuate: If instructed to or considering evacuation, act quickly. Flooding is likely during a hurricane and potential evacuation routes could be affected.
- Unplug: Unplug devices and appliances like T.V.'s, computers, microwaves and stoves. Widespread power outages are possible and can last weeks. As the storm passes, power surges could cause serious damage to your electronics.
- Try to save the food: Unless advised to turn off utilities by local authorities, keep the refrigerator plugged in and on the lowest temperature setting possible to help prevent food loss if there is a power outage. If evacuating, it's a good idea to take everything out and move it to the evacuation location.
- Utilities: If ordered to do so, or planning to evacuate, turn off the utilities (water, gas and electric).
- Don't go outside: Stay indoors, away from windows and glass doors while the storm passes. Close all internal doors and lock external doors. According to IBHS (Institute for Business and Home Safety), during the height of the storm seek shelter in an interior room, closet or hallway on the lowest level of the home. If in a high-rise, seek shelter below the 10th floor of the building.
Farmers customers in the area who have damage from the storm can file a claim by:
- Visiting Farmers.com.
- Calling their agent.
- Using the Farmers® Mobile App through their smartphone or tablet.
- Texting REPORTCLAIM to 29141.
- Or by calling the 24-hour claims center:
- Farmers Claims Contact Center number: 1-800-435-7764.
- Foremost® and 21st Century® customers can also use the 1-800-435-7764 number for assistance.
- Bristol West® customers can call 1-800-274-7865 for assistance.
- Spanish-language claims assistance is available to Farmers customers by calling: 877-RECLAMO (877-732-5266).
About Farmers Insurance
"Farmers Insurance®" and "Farmers®" are tradenames for a group of affiliated insurers providing insurance for automobiles, homes and small businesses and a wide range of other insurance and financial services and products. Farmers Insurance is proud to serve more than 10 million households with over 19 million individual policies nationally, through the efforts of more than 48,000 exclusive and independent agents and approximately 21,000 employees. Farmers Insurance Exchange®, the largest of the three primary insurance insurers that make up Farmers Insurance, is recognized as one of the largest U.S. companies on the 2018 Fortune 500 list.
For more information about Farmers Insurance, visit Farmers.com, Twitter and Instagram, @WeAreFarmers, or Facebook.com/FarmersInsurance.
SOURCE Farmers Insurance